There’s no doubt about it that when it comes to arts, kids enjoy it. Whether children are sticking their little fingers into paint and making creative pictures to hang at home or acting out Romeo & Juliet, children love it and parents adore it. However, did you know that the arts will also help children develop on so many other fundamental levels?
Below are 10 ways that the fine arts help children learn and grow:
- Accountability – When it comes to a child contributing to a group, they will learn that they are accountable. If a child forgets their part in a play or messes up in a group, they will realize that it is important to take responsibility for themselves when they do something wrong. Mistakes happen, and no matter how much we do not want to see our little ones fail, it is a part of life and a growing experience for children. Learning to accept the mistakes, fix them, and move forward will serve children well as they mature.
- Collaboration – When it comes to collaboration, not all arts require it, but many do. Examples in collaboration in the arts are band, choir, and theater. Children must share their responsibilities and compromise to achieve the common goal of the group. When it comes to collaboration, children learn that their contribution in the group is critical to the group’s success.
- Confidence – Confidence can be built in many ways with children, but there is something unique and invigorating when a child participates in the arts. There is very little else that builds confidence so much than when a child steps up on stage to sing or act out a play to improve their self-confidence and progress with their growth.
- Creativity – Obviously the arts brings out the creativity in children, but the arts also allows children to express themselves in ways that math and / or science cannot. If children have practice in thinking creatively, it will come naturally to them in the future and when they are older. Creativity is a critical skill to have that will help a child enrich their future selves and their future career.
- Decision Making – With participation in the arts a child can strengthen their critical thinking and problem solving skills. When one learns how to make choices and decisions it will carry over into their progression in education and other aspects of their life. Decision making skills are also an essential and extremely valuable skillset to have in adulthood.
- Focus – When it comes to painting, singing or any art that requires patience and detail a child learns to focus. Focus is critical when it comes to studying and educational learning. It is also another skillset that is critical for their future selves in adulthood and their future careers.
- Improved Academic Performance – The arts brings much more than just creativity, as we have already listed above. The skillsets that children learn from participating in the arts will help them in their academic achievement also. A report by Americans for the Arts claims that young people who participate regularly in the arts are four times more likely to be recognized for academic achievement.
- Motor Skills – According to the National Institute of Health, development milestones begin around age three for children. At this age children should be practicing drawing circles and beginning to use safety scissors. By four, children may be able to draw a square and cut straight lines with safety scissors. Simple things like using a paintbrush and drawing with crayons is important in the early development of a child’s motor skills.
- Perseverance – Not all arts come naturally, especially when it comes to playing musical instruments. When a child takes the time to learn a musical instrument and they learn perseverance. The hard work will pay off as the child learns how to play the musical instrument and the skill set learned from this will bleed over into adulthood where perseverance is critical, especially in one’s future career.
- Visual Learning – Drawing, painting and sculpting help develop a child’s visual-spatial skills, this is especially true with young children. The education in art helps teach a child how to interpret, criticize, and use visual information, and how to make choices based upon it.
The Deep Ellum Art Company is dedicated to bringing the greatest Dallas shows and sharing savory culinary delights, great music, and gifted artists to the Dallas community. If you haven’t already visited the Deep Ellum Art Company, what are you waiting for? Check out our upcoming Dallas shows below, mark your calendar and come out and enjoy yourself!
Upcoming Events for October 10th – October 14th, 2017
Wednesday, October 10th, 2017, 9:00PM – John Bap is releasing his new album, “Yesterday’s Homily”! Come celebrate with us with performances by Trai Bo, JT Donaldson, Ben Hixon, and Jon Bap himself! Deep Ellum Art company provides you with the best Dallas shows!
Saturday, October 13th, 2017, 9:00PM – The Deep Ellum Art Company is proud to present an intergalactic space disco themed party! Join us this Saturday with Henry + The Invisibles, STARPARTY, and DJ Mikey Rodge for the best Dallas shows in the area!
Henry + The Invisibles ( Henry Roland ) is a live-looping, multi-instrumentalist aka, “The One Man Funk Band”, that loops and layers vocal harmonies, funk guitar, grooving bass, soulful keyboards, and powerful percussion to create original high energy dance music that sounds like a solid five piece flunk ensemble.
Most of STARPARTY’s members have been playing music virtually their entire lives. Steinberg, who had been doing covers of electronic-pop duo Daft Punk on his own, was approached by a member of another band who was interested in doing the same thing. When that band member passed away unexpectedly, the remaining group still wanted to carry out that idea: a Daft Punk cover band with some individuality of their own.
Mikey Rodge wants you to dance your face off! Perhaps more accurately, he wants to lay down the throbbing bass lines, tantric melodies and intoxicating beats that will inspire you to do that very thing.
Whether through his writing of his DJ sets, Mikey Rodge is constantly striving to be the ultimate middle man for funky electronic music.
Tickets are on Sale Now for our Dallas shows!
$10 Advance / $15 Day of Show
Sunday, October 14th, 2017, 8:00PM – The Deep Ellum Art Company bringing the best Dallas shows to town. We proudly present the Rock n’ Roll High School Class Reunion, featuring local DFW grunge / punk bands:
8:30PM – Sedated – The World’s Greatest Ramones Tribute Band
10:00PM – Green Dazed – The Green Day Tribute Band
11:40PM – Stone Temple Posers – Stone Temple Pilots Tribute Band
Tickets on Sale Now for our Dallas shows!
$10 ADV / $15 DOS
About Deep Ellum Art Company
The Deep Ellum Art Company was founded by entrepreneur and creative proponent John LaRue. Our building is a multipurpose locale for Dallas shows that is used to conserve the artistic value that makes the Deep Ellum locale unique. Our facilities combines an indoor art gallery, an outdoor art gallery complemented by more than 20 artists, an outdoor food truck venue, areas for both indoor and outdoor Dallas shows and performances as well as a bar with 31 taps, 24 brewed beers and seven cocktails to choose from. Our goal is for the promotion of the fine arts, whether it be music, culinary, sculpture, 2D, 3D, digital, Dallas shows, and more. Come and join us at 3200 Commerce St., Dallas, Texas 75226.